
<--------My Image.
***
"Pretty rad." Jill said, pushing her hair off her face with the palm of her hand, the way little girls do. We were laying in the middle of the baseball field in August. The flowery weeds had overgrown the grass, making the field look like a meadow or garden.
"I know," I said, reaching for my ukulele. The sky had begun to fade into a darker blue color.
"I wish all days were like this," Jill said. "Sunny and flowery and blue."
I nodded. I could feel the uke and began pulling it over my chest. My fingers strummed lightly over the strings, drowning out the sounds of birds and the wind.
"What are you playing?" Jill pouted at the sky. She seemed as if she were looking for something.
"I don't know." I admitted. The chords began to flow as I stummed harder. Then they became jumbled and I strummed softer.
"Do you ever.. feel like.. you're losing the world?" Jill stopped talking abruptly. She was holding something in.
"Yes." I said, picking up a faster tune.
"When?" Jill fingered a flower that hung directly over her nose.
"Like when I don't talk." I sang along with the hum of the ukulele. Aahh, laaa, daa, daa, laa, daa...
"That's like, always.." Jill snorted.
I hung my eyelids over my eyes. I really was losing touch with the world. "When do you feel like you're lost?" I asked.
"Now." Jill whispered. I could see what she meant. All that we could see were the weeds and the sky. It seemed too simple for some people, not enough to keep them interested, alive.
"But it's nice, right?" I loved seeing the backs of the flower petals and the sky being farther away from me. It was really hard to tell the distance from yourself to the sky. But when you looked at it from the right angle... I realized that I had stopped playing my uke.
"I suppose."
"What do you mean?" I asked.
"I mean, it's scary. What if I'm grown up and life is a basic sky? All my life? It's nice once in awhile."
I highly doubted that she'd be looking at the sky for the rest of her life. "It's not going to be. Plus, you said that you wish all days were like this."
"But sky? Everyday?"
"Well, no. Unless you're a pilot." I grinned.
The day subdued to a deep purple as I made up two songs with no words and as Jill poured out her deepest, darkest secrets to me.
xxxxx
A CHARLOTTE CONFESSION-
"i really want a ukulele :D "
No comments:
Post a Comment