Lucy Mays Blvd.
Chapter One
"Ruby, could you put those papers in the next room? I can't stand looking at them." My boss said. I grabbed the stack of soon-to-be paper cuts and stalked into the hallway. I hurried to the first door to the right and turned the door knob. A high squeak erupted the silence and Boss cleared her throat. I closed the door behind me and threw the papers on a metal desk. My hands suddenly became energetic and I started flipping through the papers, my eyes looking for the street, Lucy Mays Blvd. Gwen told me to check it out. She had heard of it when she was working at the coffee shop. I was sure I had heard of it before, too.
About a gazillion papers later, I came upon what I was looking for. I smiled, gulped, and then looked at the door number. 122. Perfect.
"Ruby!"
My smile faded. I didn't have time to memorize the facts, so I folded up the paper and put it in my pocket, trying not to make any crumbling noise.
Boss's face was red, of course she was furious. "Ruby, I've fired many, MANY people." (Which was hard to believe. Remember? Low population?) "Don't make me fire you."
"Yes." I decided not to add the ma'am.
"What's in your pocket?" I still had my hand in my right pocket. My eyes felt like they were going to fall out of their sockets. I pulled out a gum wrapper.
"Is this mine?" She reached her hand out toward mine and I dropped the gum wrapper in her hand. I nodded.
"What else?"
No comments:
Post a Comment