TWO
“Roo, this is Grady…your cousin.” My mom mumbled with her mouth full of casserole. She had a plastic fork in her hand, directed toward the boy that stood above me. He reached down his hand and I grabbed it. His grip was firm and his knuckles were hairy. Blech.“Hey,” He grunted as he pulled me up.
“He’s seventeen. ‘Kids get along now.” Mom quickly added before going into the TV room. I was fifteen, but Grady was probably only one inch taller than me.
“So,” he said, trying to break the silence.
I looked out the window behind me, at the sun simmering down to a little orange sliver and disappearing. The lamp in the corner clicked on, set by a timer.
“I don’t remember you,” I snarled, kind of upset I hadn’t noticed his face. My shoulder hit his as I joined my mom in the TV room.
Grady followed me. A red suited woman’s image buzzed on the television screen. The picture focused and refocused, continuing a pattern of scanning downwards. The TV hummed, reminding us of how long it had been with our family. A blue flush of light refelected on my mom’s face. She was sitting on the dusty La-Z-Boy twirling her fork on her almost empty paper plate. She looked haunted.
“Er, Mom?” My feet mad mushing sounds against the carpet and I crashed on the sofa. Grady followed my action a little hesitantly, unfamiliar.
“Shh, Sunshine, weather.” My mom had a big habit of calling me ‘Sunshine.’
The lady with the red suit on TV said, “Sixty percent rain chance tomorrow. And that means you Greentown.”
I scoffed. She was going to be real disappointed with herself when it turned out to be sunny.
“Got anything new, Roo?” My mom tugged at a strip of frizzy hair with her index finger and thumb. Her eyes were fixed on me expectantly, waiting for something.
“Nothing.” I cleared my throat and looked at the ceiling. I promised her I would keep my job. The pay on our rent was getting more expensive with all the water lines drying out since the past week. I tried not to cry but a few tears snuck onto my cheeks.
“Why you cryin’, baby?” She got out of her La-Z-Boy and set her plate down on the coffee table. Grady made some odd breathing sounds but I tried to ignore him. My mom placed her hands on my cheeks and looked at me.
“She fired you.” She said it solidly like there was no feeling to it. My tears flowed more and my throat was filled with something, a scream maybe? I wanted to scream and curse Boss but I couldn’t. Because it was over with.
Mom picked up her plate and walked into the kitchen. Grady followed her and I heard him mumble, “What should I do?”
“Just bring her some casserole.” My mom said. I heard her openening cabinents and handing Grady paper plates. He returned to the room and handed me a plate. I opened the end table’s drawer beside me. It was where my mom kept her “nice forks.” I got one for myself and handed one to Grady.
“Thank you.” He muttered.
“So, where are you from?” I asked, my mouth full of food.
“Oregon.” Grady looked at me. The TV’s light shined through the sides of his eyes, making them soft green. He had stubble on his jaw and a dimple on his chin.
“And why are you here?” I didn’t mean to say it coldly.
Grady looked down at his food again and ate some more.
You did it again, you Social Disaster. I said to myself. I rested my temple on my knuckles and watched the TV. The news was off and Good Times was on.
“Uhm, my parents. They uh, went missing.” He choked the last word out.
“I’m.. sorry.” I said.
“It’s okay.” I know he didn’t mean it when he said it. It wasn’t okay.
“No it’s not..” I said, wanting to tell him I understood. But I didn’t understand why he was here. He looked old enough to take care of himself.
He cleared his throat, “Your mom enrolled me in school.” I silently thanked Grady for changing the subject.
“Yeah? Senior, right?” I asked.
“Junior.”
“Oh,” I said. “I’m sophmore.”
“Cool.”
“I guess..” I trailed off. I was finished with my casserole, feeling more tired than ever. All my emotions seeped out of me. I set my plate on the coffee table and put my head back. All sounds and light faded as I went to sleep.
No comments:
Post a Comment