my word is: SUN
***************
"Catherine, please stop," My mother covered her face with the palm of her hand, sheilding the light that erupted from her compact mirror, the one that rested in my hands. The light was merely provided by the sun, doing it's job. I respected that. I didn't understand why the light had bothered Mother though, she wore sunglasses that covered the length of her browbone to just below her cheekbone. They were darkly shaded, making it impossible to see what lay beyond them. Usually, I could tell Mother's mood by her eyecolor. Gray for angry. As we sat on the scratchy picnic blanket in the park, I became bored. Men with neatly wrapped sweaters around their shoulders walked happily around the park's narrow course. My mother would wave at them and fiddle with her straw hat. What a flirt.
"Could we please leave now?" I asked, sulking and toying with a sharp blade of grass. I could feel movement on the blanket, and turned to see mother lying on her back, staring up at the clouds. Even though I could not see most of her face, I could tell she was in depth with the blue sky. I laid back beside her.
"You see the sun, kiddo?" Mother directed her index finger toward the source of light that kept us alive daily.
I nodded, squinting.
"One day, you're gonna give that sun everything you own." She said through deep pink pursed lips.
"Pardon me?" I turned my head toward her. She didn't move.
"When you're away from the world," She continued. "When you're.."
"Dead." I finished the sentence for her.
"Dead, correct. The sun owns everything you've got. And he'll own it all one day."
My mother was a ball of confusion. I turned my head back to the sky.
"One day, he'll own you."
No comments:
Post a Comment